Valerie Wernet is an editor, writer, poet and teacher of writing. She has a knack for turning harebrained schemes into glorious realities and turning problems inside out. She shamelessly loves words, and working with people on their writing is pretty much her dream job. She also loves cooking and interior design, and considers each to be their own kind of poetry.
She holds an MFA in Writing from The School of The Art Institute of Chicago and a BA from The Evergreen State College. Valerie is sometimes a guest blogger and retreat leader at Puttylike. If one desired, one could find some of her poetry in Small Po[r]tions Journal or Mantis journal. She is lucky to live in her hometown — Portland, Oregon — with her partner, Emilie & their mini schnauzer, Grendel.
s e l e c t e d p r o j e c t s :
- Ongoing consulting and writing coaching for a business-related blog
- Copywriting in the real estate and financial sectors
- APA style editing on a Master’s thesis
- Writing instruction, including teaching Attacking The Essay, a 10-week course at The School of The Art Institute of Chicago
- Developmental and copy editing on Rami Nuseir’s The Geek’s Guide to Getting The Girl
- Advising on Emilie Wapnick’s TEDx Talk: Why Some of Us Don’t Have One True Calling